Countless hours of research have gone into the compilation of information on this site. As I move forward, I will compile lists of those resources I have used to gather information below:
Alberta Local History Books Online
University of Calgary Digital Collections is now hosting local and Alberta histories from Our Roots and Our Future, Our Past collections: Available here!
- Internet Archive also has select Alberta local histories which can be signed out
- Alberta Homestead Maps – circa 1918 – Invaluable collection of Cummins Map Co. township-range maps, listing the landowners of each quarter section (Rescued by the UofL!)
- Alberta Homestead Files – Growing online collection of Alberta homestead files, previously only available at the Provincial Archives of Alberta
- Index to Applications for Alberta Land Patents- 1885 to 1897 – Provided by Alberta Genealogical Society
- Index to Alberta Homestead Records – 1870 to 1930 – Provided by Alberta Genealogical Society
- Index to Alberta Homestead Records – post 1930 (work in progress) – Provided by Alberta Genealogical Society
- CPR Land Sales Catalogue – CPR Land Sales Catalogue contains records of sales of agricultural land by the Canadian Pacific Railway to settlers in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta from 1881 to 1927. (Provided by Glenbow Library and Archives)
- Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online
- Exploration—British North America further papers relative to the exploration by the expedition under Captain Palliser of that portion of British North America which lies between the Northern Branch of the River Saskatchewan and the frontier of the United States; and between the Red River and the Rocky moutnains and thence to the Pacific Ocean – By John Palliser, Thomas Wright Blakiston
- Reports of Progress; Together with a preliminary and general report on the Assinboine and Saskatchewan exploring expedition, made under instructions from the provincial secretary, Canada. – By Henry Youle Hind
- We’ll all be buried down here : the Prairie Dryland Disaster, 1917-1926 – By David C. Jones
- The Last Best West – Advertising for immigrants to Western Canada, 1870-1930
- Empire of Dust: settling and abandoning the Prairie dry belt, by David C. Jones
- Government of Alberta, Municipal Affairs – Official Populations
- Alberta’s revolutionary leaders, by Timothy C. Byrne.
- Feasting on misfortune: Journeys of the human spirit in Alberta’s past. – By David C. Jones
- University of Calgary Library Digital Historic Maps
- Peel’s Prairie Provinces – Includes an extensive collection of digitized maps from Alberta and the Prairie Provinces
- Peel’s Map Collection appears to be migrating to Internet Archive here.
- Alberta Homestead Maps – circa 1918. Part of the Bruce Haig collection, saved from oblivion by the University of Lethbridge.
One Room Schools
- Alberta Teacher’s Association- A Brief History of Public Education in Alberta
- Glenbow Museum School Districts Catalogue
- Pioneering with a piece of chalk: the one-room country schools of Alberta, 1885-1982, by William Peter Baergen
- Alberta Education Authorities and School Districts – Use the Search to find Municipal Maps with pioneer school districts superimposed.
Online newspapers (Free)
- Early Alberta Newspapers: Available here!
- Peel’s Prairie Provinces – A growing archive of Alberta newspapers and publications with a user friendly interface
- Google News Archive Search – Includes Calgary publications the Herald, Daily Herald and Weekly Herald
- Brooks Bulletin Archive – Canadiana.ca’s online repository dates back to 1910 edition
- Calgary Herald (1883-2010) – Available online through the Alberta Library via ProQuest
- Hanna Herald 1912-1965 Archive from the Southern Alberta Newspaper Collection – University of Lethbridge
- Lethbridge Herald 1905-1967 Archive from the University of Lethbridge
- Vulcan Advocate 1913-1964 Archive from Peel’s Prairie Provinces (UofA) via Internet Archive
- Medicine Hat News 1890-1920 from the University of Calgary
- Alberta Atlas of Railways
- Canadian Transportation Agency – Notices of discontinuance received by the Agency under Section 146 since July 1, 1996
Rural Post Offices
Other Important Resources
- Provincial Archives of Alberta – Includes online archives search (Heritage Resources Management Information System)
- Archives Society of Alberta – Archival record, photographic and text databases
- Glenbow Museum (Calgary) – Collections and Research – From the website: “[E]xtensive collection of art, artifacts, archival materials, and published works document the history and culture of Western Canada. It also includes a diverse range of international art and artifacts.”
- Alberta Geographical Place Names Database Search
ALBERTA SOURCES: Cemeteries and other Surname Sources (assembled by the Alberta Genealogical Society and other Researchers, Societies and Groups)
All content and photos on
Copyright © 2009-2021 ·
All rights reserved
Questions? Click here to reach Jonathan Koch.