Countless hours of research have gone into the compilation of information on this site. As I move forward, I will compile lists of those resources I have used to gather information below:
Alberta Local History Books Online
University of Calgary Digital Collections is now hosting local and Alberta histories from Our Roots and Our Future, Our Past collections: Available here!
- Internet Archive also has select Alberta local histories which can be signed out
- Alberta Homestead Maps – circa 1918 – Invaluable collection of Cummins Map Co. township-range maps, listing the landowners of each quarter section (Rescued by the UofL!)
- Alberta Homestead Files – Growing online collection of Alberta homestead files, previously only available at the Provincial Archives of Alberta
- Index to Applications for Alberta Land Patents- 1885 to 1897 – Provided by Alberta Genealogical Society
- Index to Alberta Homestead Records – 1870 to 1930 – Provided by Alberta Genealogical Society
- Index to Alberta Homestead Records – post 1930 (work in progress) – Provided by Alberta Genealogical Society
- CPR Land Sales Catalogue – CPR Land Sales Catalogue contains records of sales of agricultural land by the Canadian Pacific Railway to settlers in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta from 1881 to 1927. (Provided by Glenbow Library and Archives)
- Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online
- Exploration—British North America further papers relative to the exploration by the expedition under Captain Palliser of that portion of British North America which lies between the Northern Branch of the River Saskatchewan and the frontier of the United States; and between the Red River and the Rocky moutnains and thence to the Pacific Ocean – By John Palliser, Thomas Wright Blakiston
- Reports of Progress; Together with a preliminary and general report on the Assinboine and Saskatchewan exploring expedition, made under instructions from the provincial secretary, Canada. – By Henry Youle Hind
- We’ll all be buried down here : the Prairie Dryland Disaster, 1917-1926 – By David C. Jones
- The Last Best West – Advertising for immigrants to Western Canada, 1870-1930
- Empire of Dust: settling and abandoning the Prairie dry belt, by David C. Jones
- Government of Alberta, Municipal Affairs – Official Populations
- Alberta’s revolutionary leaders, by Timothy C. Byrne.
- Feasting on misfortune: Journeys of the human spirit in Alberta’s past. – By David C. Jones
- University of Calgary Library Digital Historic Maps
- Peel’s Prairie Provinces – Includes an extensive collection of digitized maps from Alberta and the Prairie Provinces
- Peel’s Map Collection appears to be migrating to Internet Archive here.
- Alberta Homestead Maps – circa 1918. Part of the Bruce Haig collection, saved from oblivion by the University of Lethbridge.
One Room Schools
- Alberta Teacher’s Association- A Brief History of Public Education in Alberta
- Glenbow Museum School Districts Catalogue
- Pioneering with a piece of chalk: the one-room country schools of Alberta, 1885-1982, by William Peter Baergen
- Alberta Education Authorities and School Districts – Use the Search to find Municipal Maps with pioneer school districts superimposed.
Online newspapers (Free)
- Early Alberta Newspapers: Available here!
- Peel’s Prairie Provinces – A growing archive of Alberta newspapers and publications with a user friendly interface
- Google News Archive Search – Includes Calgary publications the Herald, Daily Herald and Weekly Herald
- Brooks Bulletin Archive – Canadiana.ca’s online repository dates back to 1910 edition
- Calgary Herald (1883-2010) – Available online through the Alberta Library via ProQuest
- Hanna Herald 1912-1965 Archive from the Southern Alberta Newspaper Collection – University of Lethbridge
- Lethbridge Herald 1905-1967 Archive from the University of Lethbridge
- Vulcan Advocate 1913-1964 Archive from Peel’s Prairie Provinces (UofA) via Internet Archive
- Medicine Hat News 1890-1920 from the University of Calgary
- Alberta Atlas of Railways
- Canadian Transportation Agency – Notices of discontinuance received by the Agency under Section 146 since July 1, 1996
Rural Post Offices
Other Important Resources
- Provincial Archives of Alberta – Includes online archives search (Heritage Resources Management Information System)
- Archives Society of Alberta – Archival record, photographic and text databases
- Glenbow Museum (Calgary) – Collections and Research – From the website: “[E]xtensive collection of art, artifacts, archival materials, and published works document the history and culture of Western Canada. It also includes a diverse range of international art and artifacts.”
- Alberta Geographical Place Names Database Search
ALBERTA SOURCES: Cemeteries and other Surname Sources (assembled by the Alberta Genealogical Society and other Researchers, Societies and Groups)
All content and photos on
Copyright © 2009-2022·
All rights reserved
Questions? Click here to reach Jonathan Koch.
14 Replies to “Resources”
I have desperately trying to find when my Dad purchased his land in Balzac, all I have been able to find are caveats with his name in 1927.
The legal of his land was NW 1/4 of 25 of 25 of 1 W5.
What is confusing to me is that he received a letter in 1946 from Imperial Oil stating he held the mineral rights. But I cannot find proof of ownership.
Can someone guide me to how of find this information. I have been to land titles & there is nothing there!
Hi JoAnn, have you checked out the Resources section of the website? (http://forgottenalberta.com/resources/)
There are links here to the Alberta Genealogical Society’s indexes to Alberta Homestead Records. This searchable data base is a good place to start. There are also links here to a selection of homestead records from across Alberta.
Can you please advise where I can buy a copy of the book “Roads to Rose Lynn”?
Good question. I don’t know if the Rose Lynn book club still exists in some form. Your best option is to contact a used or antique book seller, there are some available online. I have listed some possible urls below. Hopefully this helps:
Does anyone have information related to L J RANCH, Bow Island.
I have an old Winchester rifle with that carved on the stock.
Very interesting…the rifle was manufactured in 1912, the founding date of Bow Island !
How do I obtain a copy of Wind, Willows and Prairie Wool, 1867-1967 A centennial project by the Farm Women’s Union of Alberta Naco local
Hi Karen – thanks for stopping. There is a digitized version online if you’re just looking to read it:
Finding a hard copy will be tough. Special Areas Board might have a community contact. Otherwise, keep searching online and combing through used book sellers. Good luck!
Since the Spring I have been looking to find early Alberta newspapers back on-line but the message is always that its “coming soon.” Do you have a better time-line for this?
Hi Terry! I do not – I would encourage you to email them at [email protected]. The team there has always been very prompt in their replies, and have expedited the mounting of items I have requested. The following link was also forwarded to me, where you should be able to find some of the newspapers they currently have online: https://cdm22007.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/p22007coll2/search
Hope this helps!
I too am looking for Wind, Willows and Prairie Wool as my family is talked about in the book. I clicked the link but it’s no longer valid. Could you help me please?
Looking for copy of peace river family’s. History book
Hi Kim, thanks for stopping by. There doesn’t seem to be a version online, but there is a copy for sale at Aquila Books in Calgary: https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?bi=0&ds=30&sortby=17&sts=t&tn=Wind%2C%20Willows%20and%20Prairie%20Wool&vci=41477.
You could also do an inter-library loan, several locations in Alberta have the book. Check it out at https://talonline.ca/
Hi Frances, Peace River Remembers is online: https://cdm22007.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/p22007coll8/id/540451
There are several other editions pertaining to Peace River here: https://cdm22007.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/p22007coll8/search/searchterm/Peace%20River