According to Place Names of Alberta, Esther was named after Anna Esther Landreth, daughter of the community’s first postmaster, Yens.B. Olsen, in 1914. A townsite bearing the same name was established here in 1926 alongside the newly constructed C.N.R. rail line. #Alberta #Canada #ghosttown #abandoned #elevator #explorealberta #mybadlands #FABTrip15 @gregfarries
Our last stop on the Alberta leg of the abandoned C.N.R. line running north of Hanna was at Esther, a bona fide ghost town north east of Oyen, and site of the oldest remaining wooden Alberta Wheat Pool elevator . Although the townsite seems to have become an extension of someone’s farm yard, the presence of mailboxes within, and signage commemorating previous occupants of the remaining structures, re-assured us it was okay to have a quick look around.
Our visit and social sharing inspired nostalgia amonsgt many of our followers online, further evidence of the power these fast-disappearing wooden structures have in evoking memories amongst prairie people of the way way were, as well as a longing and reverence for the way things used to be. Continue reading #FABTrip15: Esther elevates the discussion